Subcutaneous Fluids Instructions
Storage and Preparation:
• Store open bags of fluids in refrigerator when not in use.
• Warm fluids in a warm water bath before use (do not allow connections to enter water). Temperature for use should be slightly warmer than room temperature.
• Use fluids for TEN DAYS ONLY once bag has been opened.
1. Use a new sterile needle for each use. If needle accidentally touches any surface before use, replace with a new needle.
2. Hang fluids 1-2 feet above your kitty to maximize flow rate.
3. Use one hand to gently lift skin on your kitty’s back, between the shoulder blades. This creates a “tent” under the skin where the fluids will be given.
4. Insert the needle into the skin in the “tent” you have made, beveled side up.
Release the skin and hold needle in place.
5. Roll the roller UP to start fluids. If dripping very slowly, check line for kinks, pinch flattened area or gently rotate needle under the skin.
6. Administer prescribed amount of fluids (between each numbered line is 1OOmL).
7. To stop fluids, roll the roller lock DOWN.
8. Gently pinch skin around the needle while removing from skin.
9. Recap venoset and return fluids to refrigerator until next use.
Your kitty may experience slight discomfort when inserting the needle(as you would when receiving a subcutaneous injection).
Be prepared if your cat attempts to walk away, scratch or bite.
Store used needles in a glass jar. Return to clinic for proper disposal.
PLEASE CALL WITH ANY QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS, OUR TECHNICIANS ARE HERE TO HELP YOU!!!