Begin introducing your cat to the aerosol chamber and mask by letting him investigate it on his own, place it in his bed, put food on or around it, etc. This will allow him to be familiar with it as a part of his environment so that when it’s time to use the inhaler he is already familiar with it.
Administering the medication:
1. Remove the cap from the metered-dose inhaler (MDI). Attach to the chamber. Attach mask to chamber.
2. Place your cat in a comfortable place where your cat is easy to handle (i.e. his bed, your lap, sofa, etc.)
3. Shake the inhaler approximately 20 times to thoroughly prepare the medication for proper delivery.
4. Place face mask on your cat (making sure to cover the nose and mouth without pushing so hard as to cause discomfort), and press down on the metered-dose-inhaler the prescribed number of times.
5. Hold the face mask in place for approximately 20 seconds. Your cat should take 7 to 10 breaths before removing device.
6. Offer your kitty lots of petting and a treat to reinforce your cat’s cooperation. Remember that using the face mask with too much force can cause anxiety. It is best to be patient and reward your cat for good behavior!
7. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning the chamber and MDI.
For pictures and videos of cats using inhalers visit:
PLEASE CALL WITH ANY PROBLEMS OR QUESTIONS, OUR TECHNICIAN STAFF IS HERE TO HELP YOU!!!