Syringe Feeding (with feeding tube) Instructions
• Mix food with enough water so that it will not clog syringe or feeding tube, but do not make it too dilute (you want to deliver as many nutrients per feeding as possible).
• Mix and administer the prescribed amount of food for each feeding.
• Watch for signs of discomfort while feeding (i.e. licking excessively, drooling, etc.) This can indicate you are feeding too fast. If your cat shows these signs even when feeding very slowly, call us for suggestions.
• Sometimes it can help to elevate the front end of the cat.
1. Mix food and water in a small bowl (be sure to smooth out any chunks, as they may clog syringe). The mixture should be room temperature.
2. Insert tip of syringe into mixture and pull back on the plunger.
3. Pull back until the prescribed amount of food is in each syringe.
4. Turn syringe so that the tip is towards the ceiling. Tap syringe gently to send any air to the tip.
5. Gently push plunger to expel any air.
6. Prepare one syringe with 3-5 ml of water.
7. Place your cat in a comfortable position, such as your lap, sitting between legs on the floor, or on a counter top or table.
8. Insert tip of water syringe into end of tube. Slowly push plunger to deliver about 1/2 ml of water at a time until 2-3 ml’s have been given.
9. Remove water syringe and insert tip of food syringe. Deliver slowly, about 1 ml at a time with a short wait period between each one, until entire amount has been given. Watch for signs of discomfort. If your cat seems to accept feeding well, you can give more than 1 ml of food at a time, just be sure to go slowly and pay attention to signs of discomfort. Remember he/she needs time to swallow.
10. Remove food syringe, replace with water syringe and repeat tube flushing with 2-3 ml of water.
11. Remove syringe and replace cap.
PLEASE CALL WITH ANY QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS, OUR TECHNICIANS ARE HERE TO HELP YOU!!!